Teachable is a solution that allows creators to build and sell online courses or coaching services. The platform is similar to Thinkific in that it is built from the instructor’s perspective rather than the student’s. However, Teachable puts more focus on individual creators and trainers rather than professional educators and companies (although it can still cater to such customers).
The focus on creative individuals means Teachable is quite simple to use. In fact, the platform is among the easiest to manipulate and is devoid of many of the advanced tools available on Thinkific and other similar solutions.
You can literally launch an online course on Teachable within minutes. You only need to provide the content, as much of the technical stuff is already taken care of. To date, Teachable has generated over $1 billion in revenue for the over 100,000 creators who use the platform.
Teachable features include:
- Convenient drag and drop course builder
- Simple and intuitive user-friendly interface
- Supports various course media, including PDF, text, audio, images, video, presentations, etc.
- Commenting feature to engage with students
- Free plan available that can be used to set up a very basic online course without any costs
- Ability to create quizzes and issue course completion certificates
- Support for offering course bundles, memberships, upsells, order bumps, and coupons
- Affiliate marketing tools and student referral program
- Multiple payment settings, including subscriptions, instalments, free trials, and other flexible options
- Supports student and course migration from other platforms
- Accepts payments in over 130 currencies, as well as Apple Pay, PayPal, Google Pay, and more
- Compatible with desktop and mobile
- Multiple language support
- Support channels include email and live chat, member community, live group coaching sessions, and more
- Direct integration with popular tools such as Mailchimp, Zapier, and Google Analytics, among others
- Ideal for beginners who want to explore the world of online courses without too many bells and whistles
- Offers a course marketplace through the Spotlight app, which helps users with getting their courses discovered
- The inclusion of marketing and sales tools means users may not have to spend a lot on other third-party apps
- Easily customizable allowing some amount of branding capabilities
- No technical skills are required, much of the functionality includes drag and drop builders
- More experienced course creators may find Teachable to be unsuitable due to its lack of advanced learning and educational assessment tools
- The free plan is only useful for trying out the platform
- Can be expensive, especially for beginners who want more than the basic features available with the free plan
- No white labeling option
- More recently, Teachable has been prioritizing coaching services, which may cast some doubt on whether it will remain a viable option for course creators
Teachable offers a straightforward pricing structure, including a Basic Plan for $39 monthly, a Professional Plan for $99 monthly, and a Business Plan for $499 per month. In addition, large companies can sign up for an Enterprise Plan, which requires dialog with the Teachable sales department.