Instagram is booming. The photo and video sharing platform, now owned by Facebook’s Meta, caters to nearly 1.5 billion active users, is the 7th-most visited website in the world, and enjoyed the second-most number of app downloads on Earth in 2021.
You’re probably wondering, “Why Instagram for blogging? Instagram is all about visual media, not written content.” Well, yes. But the platform also accommodates text. The original text microblogging platform – Twitter – allows users to post images and videos there, too, with great success. So why not use Instagram to blog? Or at least to promote your blog.
The Numbers Behind ‘Insta-Blogging’
Instagram allows users to create captions accompanying their posts of up to 2,200 characters. The average word in the English language consists of 4.7 characters (yes, we had to look it up). This means that you can add captions that potentially contain as many as 468 words (excluding your hashtags), which equate to a lightweight blog post – not quite a microblog, but not a regular, long-form one either. On top of this, posters can continue adding content in the comments section, also capped at 2,200 characters per comment. You can post as many comments as you like, and many Instagrammers do, adding additional context to their posts or telling the story behind an image or video, long after the original caption.
Benefits for Bloggers on Instagram
Whether you’re looking to use Instagram as a promotion channel for your existing blog or are aiming to use the platform as a blogging launchpad, you’re spoiled for choice on the benefits front. However, to figure out how to become a successful blogger on Instagram, you’ll need to focus on leveraging them to your advantage first.
Benefits for bloggers promoting their blog on Instagram
- It’s free– Yes, joining Instagram is free and won’t cost anything.
- Drive traffic– You can promote your blog by providing links in your bio directing followers to your blog website.
- Build a community– Instagram is an engaging social media platform where users talk to one another more than they do elsewhere. An excellent opportunity to connect with your audience by engaging directly with them and fostering a sense of community.
Benefits for bloggers blogging on Instagram
- Access to niche markets– Adding posts with engaging blog caption content is an excellent tactic for tapping into those ultra-lucrative niche markets.
- Position yourself as a content authority– As trust in social media declines, use your blog content to take advantage of peoples’ need for more trustworthy content sources by demonstrating your credibility in your writing.
- An additional brand-enrichment channel – Adding an extra blog medium to your content mix is always a good thing.